VERCELLI...CAPITULARY LIBRARY & CHURCHES
FROM 55,00 € PER PERSON - BASED ON 6 PEOPLE
MIN 1 PERSON MAX 6 PEOPLE - QUOTE FOR REQUEST FOR GROUPS OF SEVEN OR MORE PEOPLE
VERCELLI HISTORIC CHURCHES WALKING TOUR & EXCLUSIVE PRIVATE CAPITULARY LIBRARY AND ARCHIVE VISIT
- The symbol of Vercelli: the Basilica di Sant’Andrea;
- The little gem of the city: the Church of Saint Cristoforo;
- Piazza Cavour, the Tower of the Angel, Corso Libertà;
- Exclusive access to the Vercelli Capitulary Library and Archives.
“Remember Pier da Medicina if you ever see again the gentle plain that from Vercelli slopes to Marcabò”
- Dante Alighieri , Inferno , Canto XVIII -
Vercelli is one most beautiful and relatively unknown Italian cities of art thanks to its extraordinary artistic and cultural sites. The tour starts from the the railway station of Vercelli, where you meet our expert guide who will lead you through the historic ecclesiastical heritage of Vercelli. The first stop is at the Basilica di Sant’Andrea (the Abbey of Saint Andrew), the glory, the gem and the symbol of Vercelli.
The beautiful Romanesque-gothic Cathedral was erected between 1219 and 1227, thanks to Guala Bicchieri’s considerable donation. What makes the Basilica more and more fascinating is the aura of mystery around the identity of the architect in charge of the complex building works, who is still “unknown”. Just a few steps from the Basilica di Sant’Andrea starts the walk to the city centre: Piazza Cavour, the Tower of the Angel, Corso Libertà.Our second stop is at the Church of Saint Cristoforo, a little gem erected in the 16th century and restored towards the middle of the 18th century, an invaluable work of art, in which there is the circle of frescoes done by hand by Gaudenzio Ferrari, an elegant balustrade done on drawings by Juvarra, a wooden crucifix and eight Mayerle canvases.
On the way back we get the extraordinary Capitulary Library and Archives of Vercelli. The Capitulary Library and Archives reflect the importance the diocese of Vercelli has represented both in the Middle Ages and in the modern age, as testified by a bibliographic and archivistic patrimony formed by around 260 manuscripts (probably dated from the 4th to the 15th century), parchments, archivistic documents and early printed books. Many manuscripts have survived to the millenary history and its events, and they have become part of the patrimony thanks to valuable contacts of the diocese or to illustrious figures as the bishops Attone (924-960) and Leone (998-1026), or to the donations from canons of the Cathedral as Pietro Cotta (+ 1194), promoter of the canonization of Thomas Becket (1118-1170).
The earliest preserved manuscript is the Codex Vercellensis Evangeliorum, a 4th century manuscript attributed to St. Eusebius, together with other important books and documents produced for the Eusebian schola in the local scriptorium. The importance of the Vercelli diocese since the early-Middle Ages centuries is deducible from the presence of some treasures coming from Italian and foreign scriptoria: the manuscript containing the Legeses langobardorum (8th century), the Vercelli Book of the 10th century and the parchments dated back to the second half of the 13th century, as the World Map or the Ecclesiae roll.
Short walk to get the Vercelli railway station and end of the tour.
“Arrivederci e Grazie !”
Prices per person
1 pax: € 197 / 2 pax: € 122 / 3 pax: € 93 / 4 pax: € 78 / 5 pax: € 69 / 6 pax: € 55
QUOTE ON REQUEST FOR GROUPS OF 7 OR MORE PEOPLE.
- 2 hours Vercelli historic churches walking tour + 1 hour Vercelli Capitulary Library and Archives visit
- English speaking licensed guide;
- Entrance fees
- pick-up and drop off service. This service can be arranged according to your specific request.
- gratuities (optional);
- anything not mentioned in “Price Includes”.
Times and hours have to be confirmed according to the pick-up/drop off points.
2.45 pm: meeting with our expert guide at Vercelli railway station
3.00-6.00 pm: Vercelli Historic Churches Walking Tour + Exclusive Private Capitulary Library and Archives visit
6.15 pm: end of the tour at Vercelli railway station
- Railway station of Vercelli (close to the Chef Express bar)
- The tour is available Tuesday to Sunday (3:00-6:00 pm). The tour can be organized in different days/hours on request;
- If some of the suppliers/attractions mentioned above are not available they will be replaced by others of the same quality.
- Booking: at least 7 days in advance.
- Cancellation Policies: Terms and Conditions
Thanks for choosing I Go Travel