Cheese & Lake Maggiore
MIN 1 persone MAX 25 people
CHEESE TASTING & ISOLA BELLA GUIDED TOUR
- Private guided tour of Guffanti Formaggi (cheese refiner)
- Lunch tasting at the bistrot room of Guffanti Formaggi;
- Private guided tour of Isola Bella;
- Visit of Palazzo Borromeo and its Gardens
“The most beautiful Place in the world” - Montesquieu
Tasting delicious cheese and explore the enchanting Isola Bella.
Lake Maggiore - also called Verbano - is the second biggest italian Lake, after Lake Garda. Lake Maggiore is not only a land of particular natural beauties and artistic points of interest. Not many people know that in the lower part of lake exists an historical cheese refiner who set up his business in 1876 becoming a point of reference for today’s cheese lovers.
Delicious food, enchanting sceneries, and an enriching historical-artistic legacy render the Lake a truly magical place, so much so that it has been defined by French poet Montesquieu “the most beautiful place in the world.” Our licensed guide waits for you out of the railway station of Arona (out of the railways station turn right and stop in front of SELF-SERVICE BELLAVISTA RISTORANTE).
The first stop is at one of the best Italy’s cheese refiner: Guffanti Formaggi.
When great-grandfather Luigi Guffanti, in 1876, began to season Gorgonzola cheese, his brilliant intuition was to purchase an abandoned silver mine in Valganna, in the Varese province.
In the mine, with its temperature and humidity constant year-round, the cheese matured so well that Luigi quickly cornered the markets: his sons, Carlo and Mario, at the beginning of the 1900′s, exported as far as Argentina and California, lands of Piedmont and Lombard emigration.
Maximum attention to the handcrafted quality of the cheeses and passionate care taken in the refinement process mark the proud Guffanti-Fiori family tradition handed down for five generations.
The visit begins with the caves and finishes in the bistrot room, where a lunch tasting based on traditional cheeses and local products will be organized for you.
The gourmet experience is combined with the cultural visit of the stunning Isola Bella, one of the most beautiful among the Borromean Islands.
Immersed in the marvelous and suggestive waters of Lake Maggiore, the Borromean Islands were some of the favorite locations of Ernest Hemingway and, in more recent times, by the English Royals.
Boat transfer to the Isola Bella - from the name of the wife of Carlo III Borromeo, Isabella d'Adda - and guided tour of the impressive Palazzo, with its halls and rooms on the piano nobile realized from the 17th to the 19th Centuries, and with the lower portion of the house, boasting stone- and shell-covered grottoes. In the evening boat transfer to Stresa’s main harbour and departure to Arona railway station.
Prices per person
- Full-day english speaking guide;
- private guided tour of Guffanti Formaggi cheese refiner;
- lunch tasting;
- private transfer Arona/Stresa/Arona
- boat transfer Stresa/Isola Bella/Stresa;
- Isola Bella guided tour;
- entrance fee to the Palazzo Borromeo.
- gratuities (optional);
- pick-up and drop off service at your hotel/other places. This service can be arranged according to your specific request.
- anything not mentioned in “Price Includes”.
Times and hours have to be confirmed according to the pick-up/drop off points.
10.00 am: meeting with our guide at the railway station of Arona;
10.30 am: private guided tour of the Guffanti Formaggi caves;
12.00 am: lunch tasting
1.00 pm: transfer to Stresa
1:40 pm: boat transfer to Isola Bella, visit of Palazzo Borromeo and its Gardens
4:15 pm: Boat transfer to Stresa
4.30 pm: departure from Stresa and transfer to Arona railway station
- Railway station of Arona (out of the railways station turn right and stop in front of SELF-SERVICE BELLAVISTA RISTORANTE);
- In case of different pick-up/drop off points contact us.
- The tour is available from April to end of October, Monday to Sunday;
Thanks for choosing I Go Travel